Easy as pie

Fucking hell. I made a meat pie.

Chicken Pie On Cooling Rack

Ominous looking pie

So yes, I get it, it doesn’t seem like such an achievement since we have King Pie and like Woolworths if you are fancy, but I MADE A FUCKING PIE. Really this is an achievement for me as this is my first one and I am about 80% happy with this but we will talk about the remaining 20% towards the end.

Ok, so I think my favourite thing about meat pies is that they can be frozen and eaten when it best suits you. So, if you know anything about me on a personal level you will know that I really and truly fucking hate cooking. “But Badi, you claim to love baking and these two things are not so different” uhmmm, false and shut the fuck up, so different. Baking is less of a necessity and more of a joy, like mate, you are forced to feed yourself every day, it becomes mad tedious to do. Other than that, baking is like scientific and shit, cooking can often be off the cuff. I am a woman of cookie science, leave me to my thermometer ok.

So yea, this pie did push me a bit as I had to remind myself that I was baking because over most of the time I was hovering over a pot. I hate the pots and have actively refused to find them. Ok but I did it homes, I made the pots meet the oven and I can honestly say that I didn’t hate it.

Anyway, less bitching, let’s get into it.

What’s in it

Pastry

175g cold cubed butter

190g All Purpose Flour

¼ cup ice water

Filling

1 tablespoon oil

2 chicken breasts, cubed

1 tablespoon mixed spice

3 spring onions

1 leek

1 cup liquid chicken stock

2 tablespoons corn flour

3 tablespoons water

200ml milk

A palmful of chopped chives

(cubed vegetables to taste)

Chopped spring onions, leeks and chives on a chopping board

How are we making it?

Crumb the butter and flour until fully incorporated and looks like beach sand.

Gradually incorporate cold water until well combined.

Wrap in cling wrap and allow to rest in the fridge for 3 hours.

Prep filling while pastry rests

Over medium heat, fry chopped spring onions and leeks until translucent. Once translucent, add mixed herbs and allow to cook for one minute.

Increase the heat to Medium-hot and brown chicken.

Once chicken is browned remove from the pot and add stock and milk to the pot, reduce heat to medium.

Allow to cook.

In a separate container min corn flour with water to made a slurry then add to stock pot to thicken.

As the stock thickens, return the chicken to pot and allow to cook further until chicken is just tender.

Allow to cool before placing into pastry case.

Preheat oven at 180 degrees celcius.

Remove pastry from case and roll out to tht thickness of a R5 coin.

Cut pasrty to desired size and fill with cool filling

Pinch/fork the sides of the pie to ensure filling does not leak out.

Combine egg with a salt and brush over pies for an egg wash.

Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow to cool slightly before eating.

Rolled out pastry dough with filling

What did I learn

Ok, I stated earlier that I really hate the pots, this has never and will never change. In fact, during family parties or my moms Stokvels, I would rather weald a broom that a chopping knofe, please do not attempt to pull me into that rabbit hole of boredom. On the other end, a hoe needs to eat so a hoe gotta cook.

So,in making this here pie, I think I got the basic constructs down but I will have to work on refining things a bit to better suit my specific tastes. This is where that 20% comes into play, cooking creativity/knowledge. So, what would I have done differently, (because I am human and also I fuck up)? Here is a detailed list:

  • Use fresh stock with less salt in. (the stock I used was way too salty and threw the taste for me)
  • Throw in some carrots or other crunchy veggies to add more deminsion to the texture
  • Bacon is your friend, this isn’t some lame shop bought pie
  • If you are going to try fold the pie on itself again, make sure the filling has cooled
  • Practice makes perfect so don’t sweat it boo
  • Have fun with the filling

I got a total of about eight pies from this and what I have done is simply frozen the excess for me to eat during lunch and on random lazy days that are to follow. They should be good for about 3 months in the freezer.

Baked Chicken Pie on cooling rack

Please get out there and give this bad boy a try and let me know your thoughts in the comment section.

Go on and live that pie life homies.

3 thoughts on “Easy as pie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s